Saturday 27 October 2012

THE SORROWFUL HEART OF A DARLING MOTHER By Brown Toyin




THE SORROWFUL HEART OF A DARLING MOTHER
She brushed hurriedly past me
I stopped to look at her
As her feet pounded heavily upon the stony ground
With the helm of her old faded wrapper in her hands
She was sobbing so bitterly
I ran after her and I wondered what made her cry
And the pain she felt inside her
She reached the Abrika Bridge and stopped
She wanted to jump
“Stop!” I yelled at her
She made an abrupt halt and turned to face me
I was taken aback by her beauty
Her face was such an innocent one to behold
Her tears flowed down her rosy cheeks
And it revealed a long years of sorrow
Filled with great grief in her heart
She fell down and cried more bitter tears
“Onoye has taken away the only one that gave me joy.
My beautiful baby, brutally killed by my husband’s wife”.
She said amid her tears
At that moment, I felt her pain
I walked slowly to her and touched her
Her hands trembled
And her voice quivered like a tremor
I reached out to her and I held those hands in mine
I lifted her up and she cried on my shoulders
I was troubled within me and I wondered,
So great a love a mother has for her child
That she chose to die with her baby
Thank God I saved a life
But from that day I had loved my mother
Because like Eni she chose to live for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment